So my pumpkin recipe galore is still going strong! Check out my other recipes here and here. This afternoon I had a chocolate craving and decided to whip up something quick with a little leftover pumpkin puree. A chocolate milkshake sounded perfect. To get this shake thick and creamy I added in some guar gum, a natural thickening agent available at health food stores or online.
This recipe is adapted from Serious Eats. Theirs uses ice cream but I wanted to keep things a little healthier. So I mixed in some almond milk, agave nectar and then topped it off with fall spices for an added kick.
Healthy Chocolate Pumpkin Milkshake
- 2 cups almond milk, melted
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups ice
- a dollop of whipped cream, for topping (optional)
Add all of the ingredients to a blender and pulse until smooth. Serve in glasses and garnish with whipped cream and cocoa powder or ground cinnamon if desired.
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: serves 2
[if you enjoyed this post, please sign up for my newsletter to get the latest recipes]